San Francisco street performer Alonzo Jones, better known by his stage name Turf, headlines the list of stand-by acts that made it to Season 7’s Top 48.
The 21-year-old contortionist dancer, who was homeless throughout the past couple of years because his mother kicked him out of the house, battled it out on the final episode of the Vegas callbacks against his longtime New Jersey acquaintance Stepz and received the spot over his fellow east-coast rival.
Other notable acts from the stand-by list that will also compete in the live performance shows in The Big Apple (well, actually beautiful downtown Newark, NJ) include:
- Wordspit Viagra, the Illest!, an alternative hip-hop band from New York who, according to Howard Stern, “blew the roof off the place” in their first audition,
- Donovan & Rebecca, a husband-and-wife acrobalance duo who displayed the aerialist element of their act in Las Vegas,
- Inspire the Fire, a singing-and-dancing group from Tampa, Florida, who refer to themselves as an urban version of Glee,
- David Garibaldi and His CMYK’s, a graffiti artist who composes his paintings alongside the accompaniment of background dancers, and
- Lindsey Norton, a 16-year-old solo dancer who incorporates facets of ballet, contortions, and gymnastics into every one of her routines.
The first live performance show of the season will air next Monday, 8:30pm/7:30 central.